Skimming over old flaky painted ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I removed some sort of polytex from the kitchen ceiling. Most of it was on top of lining paper and it all came off very easily. Unfortunately there were areas where the polytex was applied on to the painted layer under the lining paper (they must have tore off the lining paper to fill in cracks) and that was a nightmare getting off.

It seems to have taken off areas of the old paint. The paint is very brittle. Seems like a flat pink/brown layer (not distemper) painted over a more satin yellow layer. Removing is all would be a nightmare and want to try to avoid over-boarding. I have scraped as much of the loose bits off. I think it's stuck to the plaster fairly well though will come off if I start to scrape at the edges. Its pretty old paint so not sure if it's lead which is why I'm a bit cautious scraping too much off.

If I pva the chipped off areas so there are no loose edges (before pva the whole ceiling for plastering) do you think this would be ok to do a light skim over?

P1050399.JPG

P1050400.JPG

Sponsored Links
With out a doubt I would just pva and over skim that. I would make up the pva as a 30/70 mix water/pva this would allow some take up of the mix in to the old surface. Then skim as normal. I hope this helps. Fred.

Thanks Fred, thats a big help. I was thinking the same thing so will definitly go that route :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back