Preparing old plaster walls & ceilings for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a flat in a grade 2 listed converted Regency period building.

I'm currently stripping off the old wallpaper, and the plaster is in a variety of states behind it, and I'm wondering what the best solution will be to give me a good finish to paint on.

In most rooms the plaster is patchy, with various bad filling jobs from over the years, and chasing of wiring and pipe work. Also, whilst mostly sound, there are areas where it is cracked or loose, and some where it has already come away from the wall back to the brick work.

Finally, in one of the largest rooms, the plaster isn't all that bad, but the paint on it is quite flaky/friable.

I don't think any of the walls are really good enough for painting as-is, but wonder what my options are. Obviously where plaster is missing it will need to be re-plastered, but for other areas I'm guessing my options consist of:

1) Filling and sanding

This will be time consuming, and will probably never result in the best finish.

2) Lining paper

Will require some filling and sanding first. Will probably give a better finish that filling and sanding alone, but I fear the lines will always haunt me.

3) Re-skim

Will give the best finish, but will probably also be the most expensive. Also, will skirting and picture rails need to be removed beforehand then replaced afterwards?

What option would you go for? or there other advantages disadvantages to each option, are there any other options available?

Also, where plaster is loose, is it best just to hack it down, or should I try and secure it (I've seen suggestions on the web of securing it with screws and washers).

Then there are the ceilings, I've spent about a day and a half trying to get the woodchip off the ceiling in the master bedroom, and most of the backing paper still remains. Underneath the backing paper the ceiling is looking quite old and cracked, and there is a fairly large area that seems to have come loose from the laths. One suggestion has been that I get the whole ceiling boarded over then skimmed. However, the room in question also has some original (though fairly simple) cornicing - and I'm guessing this isn't very compatible with re-boarding and skimming a ceiling. How can I sort it out? Is securing the loose plaster and then skimming an option (if so, I'm guessing I'll have to tackle the rest of the backing paper on the ceiling).

I've not tackled the other ceilings much, but they seem to be in a similar condition (though the paper is coming off more easily). Should I bother trying to get the paper off and then smoothing/filling/skimming/lining, or should I just board and skim? (the other rooms do not have cornice).

I now you probably can't provide a definitive answer without seeing the actual walls and ceilings, but I'm really just looking for general advice and help to best know what my options are and how much work would be involved.

Sponsored Links
I agree as you pointed out,that your job would have to be seen to comment on it. There's a lot going on here. Get a painter and a plasterer to come in and see what they think. It'll cost you nothing to ask. ;)

Roughcaster.

i would really need to see it before i can comment on the ceiling as with all old buildings keeping original features is a must for owners.

if you sand and fill it will take you ages and you can't sand n fill blown plaster. this will need to be replaced.

if you line it? if the old chases are in anyway uneven or lumpy it will show through.

the best bet it to re-skim the walls. remove any blown plaster and re-do it sounds from what you have described that most of the walls are sound just the odd blown patch here and there so i would go for the re-skim.

you dont have to remove the skirts and picture rails as any good spread will do a professional job regarding those areas.

the ceiling is another issue as it is laths, you can repair lath ceilings so long as the laths are sound. any pics????

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back