badly oiled solid oak worktop help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I got a new kitchen fitted about six months ago, i oiled the worktops lots of times back then and it looked beautiful. I understand that solid oak worktops need to be oiled often, i was told every 3 to 6 months, so yesterday was the time to give it a new coat of oil. I oiled the worktop but now that has dried i noticed that i didn't wiped the excess and the worktop shows an uneven shine, it looks rough with different shines on it, I use the same oil that i used when the worktop was fitted, I was the problem i didn't wiped the excess oil. how do i fix this, do i keep oiling (this time light coats and wipe excess) or do i need to sand the last coat of oil and do it again.
please help. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Further light coats should help, sounds like there is uneven distribution, the shine will only be possible where there is enough oil on the surface.

Thanks for your help, Do I need to sand the work tops before i put the light coats as you said?

Thanks for your help, Do I need to sand the work tops before i put the light coats as you said?
iwould wash tops of with turps first then sand down to 240 grit paper the use a osmo oil on the tops as this will wear much better and give a better finish.

Sponsored Links
i would also wash tops with turps and give a sand with 240grit paper then put on a coat of osmo oil, leaves a better looking finish

You could use Tung oil, it doesnt dry to such a high sheen. when you put it on try tinning it down even as much as 50 - 50

if it's got excess oil, don't sand it or grit may get embedded in the hardened oil film.

you can clean off the excess with white spirit, but the sooner the better. It hardens into a gummy varnish with exposure to the air.

you should apply and wipe off the excess oil with ten minutes or so.]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back