Keep oiling that new worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just taken delivery of an oak worktop. The guy who made it recommends Danish oil for oiling it both side 4 or more times continually without letting it dry. He says that is to get it to soak all the way through. Then wipe off excess and let it dry before another couple of coats, up to four, then buffing off before leaving for six hours between coats. It is 4cm thick

It seem a hell of a lot of oil to me and how long will it take to dry after the continual initial four coats ?

Sponsored Links
they used to say a coat every day for a week
a coat every week for a month
a coat every month for a year then 2 or 3 times a year
but it will need maintenance perhaps 2 or 3 times a year but its not my expertize lol

He says that is to get it to soak all the way through
The oil will penetrate about 0.5mm if you are lucky.

I’ve heard Osma polyx oil is better than Danish oil.

whatever you use, you only apply small amounts at a time - danish oil has a small amount of drying agents and if applied too thick it won’t dry.

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of continually oiling the oak 4 times without allow it to dry, just turning and returning until after four coats you finally remove the excess. I have alway allowed the oil to dry between coats so I can accept the four coats but not continually turning wet surfaces so they will be face down on the supports ( Saw horses in my case) while oiling the underside. As you say the oil will only penetrate so far whatever amout of oil I pour on the slab .

I have never heard of continually oiling the oak 4 times without allow it to dry, just turning and returning until after four coats you finally remove the excess. I have alway allowed the oil to dry between coats so I can accept the four coats but not continually turning wet surfaces so they will be face down on the supports ( Saw horses in my case) while oiling the underside. As you say the oil will only penetrate so far whatever amout of oil I pour on the slab .
dont rely on my suggestions as its non specific as in no actual oil/coating type mentioned
it may be modern oils are more efficient but whats in the instuctions is the best guide

I’ve used both recently, and won’t go back to danish oil.

in an enclosed area danish is very potent. Osmo Worktop oil is my fave.
The finish is excellent.

Don’t sand your worktop any finer than 150grit. There’s no need.

in between coats of osmo, I used a denib pad (Looks like the green side on a kitchen sponge) to lightly flatten.

Think I did three coats on top and one underneath. In the top, I have added a bit more around The sink, but mine is underslung and gets quite wet.

Used osmo on tops, 5 coats in a day, only takes 20-30mins to dry .Lasted a few years .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back