Bailey pro chimney rods for stainless liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm away to buy the bailey nylon pro rod set to sweep my wood burner which has a 904 liner.

My standard blue drain rods seem a little too strong for the job.

The set comes with two brushes 5" and 7" but doesn't tell me what they are made of.

What type of brush should I be using for this liner type?

And the daft question. My stove pipe is 5" and liner 7" but do I need the brushes to be slightly over my diameters to clean right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I haven't done it myself yet, but I'd think about these first. You'd normally just match the brush size to the liner size so that you don't exert too much pressure on the liner, but why have you got a wider flue than the stove pipe; they're normally matched to create the right draw. Is you're liner insulated.

5" enamelled stove pipe coming off the top of a morso squirrel then opens out to 7" liner run inside a clay original chimney liner which must have been about 10" and back filled with vermiculite. Think it's pretty normal to have a bigger liner than stove pipe.

My set up works perfectly anyway. I just haven't swept it since I fitted it and that's been about 2 years.

My own Morso connects onto a liner that is 1" bigger diameter than the flue pipe.....that was what was recommended by Morso.
Anyway, I use a 4" steel mop initially just to feel how the liner goes, and then a slightly larger mop if all is going well.
I have a couple of bristle mops cut down, from the original 16" dia down to 10" and another down to 5".
My blue Bailey rods get in fine.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I bought my set from: https://www.tamarbrushes.co.uk/ they were expensive but less chance of a breakage I would have thought?
If you don't already know, if the brush is very stiff combined with too much difference in diameter it will have to clear the top of the flue before it can be pulled back down again so do as John suggests with small brush first.

One thing I do is to thread the first rod through a short length of poly pipe before fitting the brush head which acts as a bushing to protect the flue and rods passing through the stove and first bends in pipe.
litl

Cheers for the links, Mr. D (y)
Not too sure if the first one, being apparently very flexible would perform well up the lum? Just wondering what would happen if it meets an obstruction or whatever.
John :)

Wow just watched the video. That looks savage. I wouldn't try that on a liner especially one like mine that is only supported behind with vermiculite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back