Balancing CH rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I've recently fitted several TRVs and Lockshield valves to my system and am trying to get my head around the rebalancing. I would appreciate any advice on the subject & in particular the following:

a/ Is the boiler temp setting critical?
b/ Should the bypass valve be open/closed prior to adjusting the rads?
c/ Should rad valves be open/closed before starting the operation?
d/ Should the rad, in the area of the roomstat, be on/off?
e/ What is the ideal temp difference between rad flow & return?

Thanks in advance. CP.

Sponsored Links
Balancing the CH system should be a reasonably straightforward procedure ( but not always the case ).

With regards your heating circuit, we shall say you have 6 rads for example. Working from the rad closest to the boiler you crack open the Lockshield a quarter turn, 2nd rad slightly more etc etc until you come to the rad the furtherest away on the circuit this may have to be open fully. All alterations in regard balancing should be made via the lockshield as this cannot be easily adjusted and therefore throwing out all your work. The differance between flow and return i beleive should be 10-11 degrees. If this is achieved you have a well balanced system.

bearing in mind that he boilers are now compulsery to install, that would be 20 degrees. At any time the installation manual will tell you what is required for this boiler. To do it properly, you need a differential thermometer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back