Balancing Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since drain and refill of our gravity fed system I cannot get heat to alot of the downstairs rads. One downstairs rad is boiling but turning that off doesn't have any positive effect.
Most of the upstairs get nice and warm but if I turn off all of the upstairs rads then the boiler simply turns off instead of pushing heat downstairs. Boiler only gets call for heat again once upstairs are turned back on.

Any ideas please. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Was the water you drained filthy black? If so there could be cr@p blocking your pump. It would have been disturbed by the drain and refilling process, finding a new home there.

Suggest you dismantle and clean your pump. If pump is indeed blocked/choked then do the following:
1. Run the system until it's as hot as it can be, then drain down as quickly as you can.
2. Buy and install a magnetic filter, a 22mm one costs between £60 and £120.
3. Dose the system with a chemical cleaner and leave it to run for a week.
4. Drain and refill, repeat until the drained water runs clear(ish).
5. Clean the filter, then dose with an inhibitor.

If it's not blocked, suggest you check TRVs for sticking pins (search this site).

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

There is a magnetic filter fitted which I have cleaned out a couple of times since. The water was fairly dirty when draining. The pins are not sticking on the rads which are not getting heat so I'm confused to what next. The pump appears to be running properly but am tempted to get another fitted as does seen old.
All rads are bleed and doesn't appear there is an air lock anywhere also. The system is starting to p##s me off to be honest. Why do u think the boiler shuts off when turning all upstairs rads off, do you thinks it's a blockage?.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a circulation problem thats causing the boiler to close down. If the heat generated by the boiler cant be dissipated by circulation through the radiators then it has to close down.As meldrewsMate advised above ,check the pump is clean ,free of air and spinning.you may have a shortage of water in the system.
You could run a Strong magnet over your pipes , starting with the feed from the f&e tank ,high up and work down . any blockage of magnetite in the pipes would attract the magnet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back