Balancing Radiators - Any Tips/Sites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any tips or web sites on balancing radiators ? (Not on my head) :eek:

Isn't there a tool you can buy for it ? Whats it called and roughly how much ?

Thanks guys ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I've recently balanced my radiators and here is how to do it with an infra-red thermometer, cost £56 + vat from BES mail order.
Check all valves flow and return are open fully on all radiators. Take temperature of each radiator. (The idea is to get them all roughly giving out the same amount of heat).
Make a note of which one is the hottest. Turn the return valve a quarter to half turn. Wait 5 minutes. Than take another set of readings of all the radiators. Keep repeating with the hottest radiator until all are showing similar temperatures give or take a few degrees. All the best.

doblo7 said:
........ (The idea is to get them all roughly giving out the same amount of heat). ........

Er........ the idea is to get the temperature drop across them the same. You would not expect the same heat from a 600 x 600 plain single as you would from a 1800 x 600 finned double.

Search this forum, the question is asked frequently.

Sponsored Links
doblo7 said:
infra-red thermometer, cost £56 + vat from BES mail order.
:eek:

Good god, thats a lot of cash :LOL:

The idea of balancing is to get 11 degree difference in temp between the flow and return. For this you need to purchase clip on thermometers and adjust valves until this is attained.

I may try Doblos method , save me buying some clip ons as I have a digital thermometer ;)

NB if you have good quality thermostatic valves you can usually use them to limit the max flow through the rad.
Trv's make the balancing much less critical too, a rad might heat quicker but the thermostat will cutthe flow back.

Er........ the idea is to get the temperature drop across them the same. You would not expect the same heat from a 600 x 600 plain single as you would from a 1800 x 600 finned double

Sorry thats what I meant the temperature the same... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back