radiator not working -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Wondered if anyone could give me some tips on how to assess what is wrong with my radiator - Its a double radiator with thermostatic control, am not sure which pipe feeds in the hot water but neither pipes from the floor seem to heat up and the rad is stone cold?
My heating system is a baxi boiler with a tank in the loft.
I've looked at previous threads on this web site that feature similar problems, however most state that the pipes leading up to the rad are getting hot so not been able to find the answer.
any tips would be much appreciated - am not technical in the slightest but would like to try and fix it myself before phoning for a plumber - or at least appear to know what the problem is when describing the problem to him.
many thanks Sarah

Sponsored Links
Have you let out any air from the the radiator? if any.

Are both rad valves open, these are each end?

Andy

Hi Andy

thanks - No not tried any of those, will have a go tomorrow as i dont have a radiator key so will buy one.
thanks

Hi, as Andy said, check valves are open, if not open them up. Take off the thermostatic valve head and check whether the pin in the middle is stuck in, test using pliers (dont pull pin right out). It could also be that the rad is air locked or has sedement build up, try turning off all the other radiators and turn on your heating, open up the culprit radiator and if it is airlocked/lightly blocked this should clear it. It is also possible that the rads are not balanced correctly, try turning down the manual valves a little on the rads that heat up the quickest so that extra flow goes to the end of the system. Finally it could be block from sedement in which case you need to flush it out.... so,,, good luck!, Andy. :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back