Balancing Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not been in my house very long and it is obvious that the rads are out of balance. I think it is probably went out of balance when the house was extended many years ago. They put in additional rads but did not bother to rebalance.

I balanced the rads at my last house and it went like a dream as I was able to trace the routes of all the pipes and could work out the correct order. I even found that in some cases the valves were the wrong way round.

My present house is a modern one (18 years old) and all the pipes are either buried under the floor or in wall ducts. I therefore have absolutely no idea how the system is plumbed together. (I bought a pipe tracer from Maplins. Useless, it would not find any of the pipes - great for gripperrod though!! It's going back when I find the time)

What is the best way of going about balancing in this situation?

Sponsored Links
A basic way is to start with the rads nearest the pump and shut them down the most. Upstairs can usually be left shut slightly more. Scientifically get 2 clip on pipe stats and measure flow and return temp on each rad and set temp difference to 11C, or 20C if condensing boiler.

I would stick with the first idea though ;)

Pipe tracer not working? sure its copper pipes buried as the usualy use plastic with copper tails showing in new builds?

Could the system need power flushing and not balancing
if balancing try closing all the upstairs and open half a turn as hot water rises,
if not hire a power flusher

gas4you said:
A basic way is to start with the rads nearest the pump and shut them down the most. Upstairs can usually be left shut slightly more.

Just to make life difficult, the boiler is downstairs and the pump and motorised valve in the airing cupboard upstairs so presumably the upstairs ones will need turning down more than the downstairs.

I have two clip on thermometers (brannan) from the last time; but they are mighty slow reacting to changes.

I don't think the pipes are plastic, but I don't intend ripping the house apart to find out.

In another post someone wrote about a "two part pipe tracer". What's that? :confused:

Sponsored Links
DavidJW said:
gas4you said:
A basic way is to start with the rads nearest the pump and shut them down the most. Upstairs can usually be left shut slightly more.

Just to make life difficult, the boiler is downstairs and the pump and motorised valve in the airing cupboard upstairs so presumably the upstairs ones will need turning down more than the downstairs.

I have two clip on thermometers (brannan) from the last time; but they are mighty slow reacting to changes.

I don't think the pipes are plastic, but I don't intend ripping the house apart to find out.

In another post someone wrote about a "two part pipe tracer". What's that? :confused:

Forget the boiler position, only the pump that matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back