Balcony Handrail Maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My balcony has not seen a lick of paint in (presumably) 8 years since the place was built. It's looking a bit worse for wear and I'd like to bring it back to life.

wood2.png

So - where to begin? I know nothing about this - I understand its a hardwood? Mahogany?

wood.png

I've got a random orbit sander that I'm going to use to sand it right back to bare wood, then not sure what products to use...elsewhere been recommended Sikkens Cetol or something? Any thoughts on what kind of colour that is?

Excuse my uselessness!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
your orbital sander is for flat surfaces. That is not a flat surface. Sand it by hand.

It looks like a nice tropical hardwood. I would go for a translucent breathing stain in a pale colour to let the timber and its grain show through.

I looks to be in quite fair condition, but I always like to give outdoor joinery a few coats of Cuprinol Clear wood preserver after sanding and before staining.

If the colour is patchy you can even it up, after sanding and cuprinol, with Colron or other wood dye.

You actually get a better finish with dye and a pale stain than using a dark mahogany stain finish, as it wil obscure the grain and the colour will be patchy varying with the thickness of the coloured stain and the patchiness of the timber. Outdoor joinery like that really needs a light sanding and recoat every three years. The stain might last five with luck but if it breaks down you will have to sand off and re-treat as the timber underneath will be damaged and discoloured by water and sun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back