Restore colour to handrail on the stairs....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked if I can "varnish" a handrail, which is basically brown with paler bits of the actual wood showing through. The customer wants a nice, even colour (dark mahogany for example). This is what I have to cover up
rail.jpg

It looks like its been varnished in the past. However, upon rubbing it down to remove the shine, a good clean with white spirit and application of a coloured varnish, the light areas (caused by wear and perhaps dodgy sanding in the past) still show through. I also tried a wood stain, but it failed to do much.

Do I have to take it right back, or is there soething else I could try, to achieve a uniform colour and shine eg Sadolin?

Also, she wants satinwood over those awful gold twiddly bits. Currently a metallic gold - will BIN prime them sufficiently without a lot of fiddly sanding?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can the timber handrail be stripped back using proper paint/varnish stripper along with a soft wire brush, then sandpaper to finish?

Once the timber is stripped back it can be de-nibbed to provide adhesion for a new coat of paint. Or if you're re-staining, a new stain over the top then lacquer.

That's the exact thing I did to a relative's stairs handrail and it turned over very tidy.

Had a similar job earlier this year. I took it back to bare with a detail sander, didn't take very long, started with 40 grit pads then worked through to 180 grit. BIN should be fine over the spindles before applying your satin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. As I had to crack on before I saw your replies, I ended up with satin black Hammerite on the gold (one coat was OK) and a coat of coloured gloss varnish on the handrail as she said she didn't want the bother of getting it all knocked back and re-stained! So now it looks a lot better but not as perfect as I wanted it. Customers, eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back