Best way to finish a pine floor without streaks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've sanded down a new pine floor. There are a few bits that seem to be a bit streaky. I have vacuumed up the dust and cleaned all over with white spirit.
In the past I have applied a water based floor varnish, but the streaks (lighter patches in the wood grain) still show through.

I know from past experience when using an oil based varnish the colour of the varnish somewhat hid these marks. Also wondered if you could bleach the wood???

Is there a better way to do this? Should I consider an oil based finish, or consider using a wax? My only other issue is the floor is in my bathroom so it needs to be waterproof so I assume varnish would be a more sensible option to waterproof it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Matt the streaks of which you speak are probably areas of the existing coating which are still trapped within the grain,. These really should be removed by sanding, this is of even more importance if you intend to use a similar or lighter tone as your finish coats.

Dec.

I've always been a bit sceptical about water based varnishes that they did not penetrate the timber effectively, but thought I'd give them another chance on a cottage I recently renovated. The 10" pine boards in the lounge were sanded back to bare timber and three coats of a well known (can't remember which one) water based varnish applied and the results were disappointing.

The varnish was applied on a warm but not hot summer day

The colour of the timber was not as deep and rich as other timbers done with oil based varnish.

The surface was much softer, easily marked with a fingernail

A leak from a radiator easily penetrated the varnish coat, darkening the timber below.

I also tried sealing some natural stone in a fireplace with the same varnish and again the colour of the stone did not come out as it would with oil based varnish.

In short I would say that water based varnishes are possibly ok if the timber is already sealed but only of any use on new timber if your'e a tradesman wanting a quick exit due to the quicker drying time.

Regards
Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back