Stair handrail, Zinsser start again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in 2015 I painted our stair handrail, it was previously stained and varnished over. I diligently sanded it back. primed, sanded, primed and painted over with Dulux Satinwood. All was fine for several months but as time wore on it has peeled off in the highest grab areas. OH was unable to break the habit of swinging around the corner while holding on the the top and bottom end points and thinks it is due to his hot hands. Anyway, the cause it not my main concern.

I want to know the best way to remove it all so I can start again. In the places it is peeling, I have managed to scrape it off quite easily down to the bare wood. The rest is well stuck down. I tried sanding but it seems to have the effect that his hot hands have had and turns the surface into something like sticky plasticine or that stuff they use to stick Bank Cards to paper.

I welcome your advice

Sponsored Links
I used Bullseye 123 if that helps, I came here to study what went wrong with it in the 1st place, could be a combination of all potential problems but 70% of the rail is fine.

We had a similar problem on a handrail - cleaned with sugar soap . Prime the bare bits with trad primer then undercoat and Gloss (y)

Thanks I'll give that a go if it means not taking it all off and starting from the beginning again.

Sponsored Links
Sugar Soap alone has done little, I still need advice about taking all these layers of goo off completely. I'm aiming for a smooth uniform finish without obvious bumps from old layers.

It's skin oil causing the problem. It's known about.

Water based alkyds are better or put a clear protection coat over.

Any particular brands? Alkyds are news to me, Google wasn't much use, just talked about artists oils. Are you saying I shouldn't have to remove the old stuff first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back