Balcony Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I am in the process of building an extension which includes a balcony over living quarters and due to height constraints I need to reduce the overall depth of the balcony, in other words the thickness of the balcony from the single ply membrane to the underneath of the plasterboard in the living quarters

I thought that there was a company that made beam and polystyrene blocks that i could fix plywood deck to, then stick the membrane to the deck , but it seems that it is only designed for ground floors and then has to have 100mm-150mm of concrete on top

I have tried beam and block but now have now been given the ok by the structural engineer to use 175mmx 50mm wood joists instead if it helped out with the heights

one idea for the roof consists of 2x 15mm plasterboard
175mm joist with 25mm kingspan in between joists
membrane
18mm ext ply
80mm tr26 kingspan
18mm ext ply
2mm single ply membrane

I was hoping for a better solution as it may mean that due to errors made by the architect that we have to dig out the floor (already covered in hardcore)and go down another 4-6 inches!

Thanks

Goody

Sponsored Links
we have to dig out the floor (already covered in hardcore)and go down another 4-6 inches!
Why?

If i'm understanding this correct, i.e. you have a ground floor extension with a balcony above and that the balcony thickness is causing a reduction in ceiling height?

So have a slightly reduced ceiling height in this area.

Or am i getting it wrong mebbe? :confused:

Hi thanks for the reply, however we are at the minimum height as it is, I was hoping for an easier solution than digging out the , already laid hardcore and 100mm of earth

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

Well the height we have at the moment at the lowest point which is at the doorway is 6 feet 2 inches

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back