Ball cock cycles after filling - why

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double tank in my loft feeding cold gravity taps and and hot cylinder. I have replaced the side entry ball cock ( twice ) and it still cycles on fill.

It does not seem to do it when its empties for a bath but the upstairs tap and bathroom loo ( fed from the tank ) cause it to cycle as it tops up the tank.

Its noisy and goes on for a couple of minutes before stopping.

Is it the double tank, is the link pipe partially blocked - it fills to the same level etc ?

Its a high pressure feed but there was nothing to change in the new side entry (blue plastic with a square water level slider not a ball ) ball cock inlet pipe
Help its doing my head in ....

Sponsored Links
no idea Dan but it might help if the OP had fitted the right ballvalve :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
2 tanks filling from 1 inlet valve.
Mains is filling tank 1 before tank 2 (in effect gravity fed) is full. the valve will close, but the water level will drop as water flows through to tank 2, causing the valve to 'cycle'.

The bridging pipe is too small.
Bigger bridge pipe or valve to both tanks from mains.

Better still, one bigger tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back