High pressure Fed Main Tank Ball-cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1)
Don't know boiler make - but it is a gas cylinder.

2) This is the problem:
Our ball cock keeps getting debris in it causing the valve to block.
Normal flow reduces to a trickle.

Other symptoms:
As this water flow starts to reduced due to the debris blockages in the high pressure ball cock in the main water tank, the water gets so little that the water sways in the tank causing a shh shh shh sound from the ball cock. When it gets to the tiny tiny trickle stage, it does not fill tank and it gets blocked

Our plumber is nice and charges little.

He has come to the conclusion that our cast iron pipes are breaking down and this will continue to happen. We will have to keep unblocking the high pressure ball valve of cast iron debris.

In short, we also tried a low pressure ball cock,
also tried a low pressure ball cock and reducing the water pressure with the local water reducing tap (not a proper tap its one of those you use a screw driver on to turn the water flow on and off)

I think we also tried low pressure ball cock and fully opened local water tap, but this time with mains water tap in bath room slightly closed so to reduced main water flow in the house.

I believe in these cases we got water hammer, and or a loud sound of water pressurised trying to get though the reduced tap openings.

Is it possible to use a low pressure ball cock with an anti-hammer valve if one exists and a pressure reducing valve - if one exists?

Is it possible to use the following setup –
mains water pipe comes to the attic, it then splits into two and feeds 2 tanks about 40gal each and each with a ball cock, this should reduce pressure, hopefully no hammer issues and yet the low pressure ball cock will allow the sediment to flow right through just like the toilet cisterns.

just to say we have no other problems to my knolwedge with out plumbing.

we have been cleaning out the high pressure ball cock for about 3 years now. I have got him to replace it 2 just for high pressure ball cocks alone let alone for the low pressure 1 we used to try all the experiments out on. He has changed the washer(s) i think there is only one to change. The ball itself I believe is the original first put in – never changed since the new black plastic tank since 3 years ago.
Its just the sediment that blocks the high pressure ball cock's small opening as it enters the ball cock.

3)
The problems all started when our main water tank leaked. There were 2 metal ones. They were replaced with one black plastic one. I’m not sure why but the newer black tank seems a tad bit smaller to me. Also the arrangement used to be, main water off the street fed the 2 tanks (the 2 tanks were setup so either 1 was fed and the other was connected to it or the tanks were set with a ball cock each.
In either case they supplied 2 bath rooms, 1 was fed with cold and hot via these tanks whilst downstairs was fed for hot water and cold water was sourced direct from street .

New arrangement-
Since 3 years now - is that one 40 gal tank supplies gas hot water cylinder and in turn supplies 2 bath rooms with HOT water, but only one bath room is supplied with cold off the main tank and other bath room is supplied with cold direct off the street.

4)
The problem started about 3 years ago when the arrangement was change see above explanation

5)
It seems to happen over a build up of time, say 4 - 6 -9 months. Sediments block the high pressure ball cock – due to the valve having a too small opening.

Help!!! Please it’s such a problem for us...

Regards

Sponsored Links
thanx for your input.

i think that was gonna be quite expensive, wot u think of 2 flow masters in the main tank configured to low pressure settings and accepting a high pressure flow?

Regards

You should be more concerned with the cleanliness of your water! :rolleyes:

Your family are washing in sediment!

Sponsored Links
if you learn how to remove/replace/clean out ball cocks, you can save the money you would otherwise pay to your plumber. After a few years it will be a tidy sum.

can anyone give me ur opinion on the low flow ball cock fitted in 2 tanks thus reducing pressure yet allowing sediment...

the sediment is very little but when enough appear to build up to block a biro size hole in the high pressure ball cock thats when the water problem happens... its always been this way we alway had a bit of stuff come out the pipe now and then, very very very little.

thats why i think old set up may be the answer

regards

p.s thanx for all ur help - keep it coming

can anyone give me ur opinion on the low flow ball cock fitted in 2 tanks

Does the water flow into one tank and exit through the other to avoid stagnation :?:

As of yet i have not put 2 tanks in, but if we do. i can have both tanks filling up then both with 1 pipe each exiting out the bottom and joining in a Y shape and then suppling the bath room.

that hopefully will keep the pressure low so no water hammer occurs and also extra pressure for the bath room water is always a bonus....hehe

Thanx people ur dead helpful and i really appreciate ur kindness - keep the ideas going

Regards

Could you be seeing a symptom of electrolytic corrosion?

A mixture of copper and iron plumbing can set up an electrical circuit, somewhat akin to a battery, that in the right (wrong?) conditions will cause one of the dissimilar metals to break down, in this case, the resulting scale and rust ends up blockng the CWSC ball valve.

i never heard of that before but we do have cast iron and then perhaps coper pipe connected to that just as it gets to the main water tank.

if it is that problem how do we stop that happening..?

thanx for your info, keep it coming, these ideas just keep getting better.

Regards

can i just have a tank with a low flow ball cock in the attic where i get a pressure reducing valve that will stop water hammer?

please we need all your help

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back