Balustrade renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into an Edwardian house in need of some TLC and high on the list is repairing the balustrade. In addition to stripping and sanding the lot there is one snapped baluster which I hope can be repaired rather than replaced.

But the main concern is it's no longer securely fixed, it wobbles and the cause of this is the loose newel at the bottom of the stairs. The base of the newel is square, about 8 inches by 8. This square section runs for about a foot to floor level from the end of the turned, main section - I'm not sure if this is a separate spigot or whether the whole newel is built in one. If it is a newel and spigot then they are still securely attached to each other and it is the spigot that's loose.
Anyway, the wobble starts below floor level. There is a wooden floor covering over the hall floor boards that I am reluctant to lift so I haven't investigated what's going on below the floor boards.

Any suggestions on how this should be secured and how I can fix it.

Many thanks,
Jim.

Sponsored Links
Nicest scenario is the joints have become unglued and worn. Needs regluing and screwing.

banisters fit into newel posts by means of a bolt look under the banister nearest to the newel it could do with a good tighten.

or

Could be rot or woodworm.

Check for rot especially at the base of the Newl post.
and woodworm under the stairs.
Cut out and renew effected timber and treat remaining timbers.

Hope its just wear and tear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back