Banging Coming From Central Heating Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Everytime my boiler fires up- 15 seconds later there is a banging noise coming from the pipes under the towel radiator in my bathroom and also from the pipes under the radiators in both my upstair bedrooms. This does not do this when I first switch the central heating on. It takes about 20 minutes for this noise to start, then it does it constantly as described above. What can be causing this noise and more importantly how can I get this problem sorted? I plan to upgrade my central heating system in a few months time which will involve replacing the old boiler with a combi boiler and having some additional radiators added to the system.

Sponsored Links
Its probably the copper pipes expanding as they heat up. When they were installed the cut-ot where they pass over the joists is probably not large enougth and they rub. If you can get access to where the banging is coming from (lift floorboards) you can make the cut-out larger and ensure theres some padding where the pipes cross the joists. To cure my problem I also ensure the pipes were secure with 15mm pipe clips.

Do a search for banging pipes and you'll see its a common problem. I cured the problem in my bedroom, just got to get round to doing the rest of the house now.

Unlikely to be the pipework, if it's been ok for a number of years then it would be unusual for it to start now.
Could be the boiler stat faulty, what boiler is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back