Banging noices from boiler - Urgent expert help required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently bought a flat and having major problems to get the central heating/hot water system to work.

I am no DIY expert and therefore called out an 'expert' on the recomendation of a friends's friend.

He came, shook his head after inspection :evil: and told me it needs changing several parts such as the electronic programmer switch, motor, some pipe fitting etc and quoted a price of £450. Eventhough I didn't expect such a large bill, I have had no choice but to go for it. Anyway, he fitted the new parts and now says the system needs some sort of cleaning. He is asking for another £250 to get it to work. I'm not sure even after what he says is done the system will work properly.

The current situation is as follows:

When I turn the system on, the boiler starts to fire and I can see the flames through the small glass panel at the front. However, after about 5-10 minutes, banging noices are coming from the boiler and the pipework surrounding it starts to shake. If I leave it then the system seems to cut-out automatically. Naturally, I am with no hot water at the moment and as a result cannot move in.

The boiler we have is a Potterton Netaheat 50. The boiler looks ok in outward appearance. The new control/electronic switch fitted is made by Honeywell.

The property is an ex-Council, 1 bed room, ground floor property in Hackney, London.

Can anyone help please on the way forward? After buying the property, I'm skint and therefore looking for an economical but a safe solution. Would also appreciate any local expert (genuine CORGI registered) recomendation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Joel

Sponsored Links
"""I am no DIY expert and therefore called out an 'expert' on the recomendation of a friends's friend"""

I appreciate that its difficult knowing who to call when you move to a new area however I do have to say that it sounds as if you have come across someone who has overcharged you. We would have charged a diagnostic fee of £84 plus £40 for programmer and perhaps £80 for a motor valve.

It sounds as if either there is an airlock or the pump has failed or the system is sludged up. All of these are easy to diagnose so I am not impressed by your expert!

You have to ignore the past and look forward to getting it sorted out with a new expert!

Tony

Thanks Tony for your prompt answer. Much appreciated.

I know I have been overcharged :oops: but that is in the past and nothing I can do about it. However, I do not want to make the same mistake again.

Do you know anyone in Hackney (London N1) whom I can approach to get the work done properly and economically? The so called expert I hired initially told me that the system is sludged up - whether he is right I'm not sure.

Thanks again.

Joel

If the system is dirty and has caused the pump to fail then it will need a new pump and power flushing.

We charge £320 for power flushing and there is still the supply and fitting charge for a new pump.

If that whats required then its going to cost you another £450 or so to sort it out.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
It sounds like someone who doesn't have a clue has neveretheless ripped you off, was he CORGI ?

Ripped off, because he overcharged for replacing bits which probably didn't need replacing

You have paid the price of your ignorance

raden said:
You have paid the price of your ignorance

Raden,

Since when ordinary people in UK are supposed to know everything about central heating systems? I don't think people are taught about CH systems at school as part of the normal curriculum.

Moreover, if we apply your logic to other crimes, then we will have to blame the victims instead of the perpertrators.

Why don't you get real? I was conned by someone I thought I could trust. I knew that some tradesmen (not all) can cheat you and hence the reason for hiring someone who has done work for others.

I hope you are not one of those tradesmen who overcharge customers because they don't know what is wrong in the first place and called you out in trust.

Joel

Hackney, Ex Council property, Ripped off :eek: That`s a serious run of bad luck :cry: Advice here is Free and supplied by good engineers.some in London ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back