Banging noise from next door

m31

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi detached house, and for a couple of years now I have been hearing a knocking noise through the adjoining wall.
I can usually hear it twice a day for about an hour each time.
This would make me think it is related to their central heating system.

It comprises of 3 loud knocks, then silence for 10 seconds, then 3 loud knocks, then silence for 10 seconds, and so on. This continues until whatever is causing it switches off.
It is especially noticeable through the upstairs adjoining wall.

I have mentioned it to the neighbour, who said that it can't be his pump as that is fitted over the other side of the house.
Could this noise be a pump noise transmitted through their pipework and into a radiator on the other side of the wall?

This has only been noticeable over the last couple of years but is now gradually getting louder.
Could it be that their pump is faulty?
If so, how long before it breaks down altogether?

Any ideas as to what this could be would be extremely welcome.

Sponsored Links
Has your neighbour got a shower with a thermostatic valve. Again only taking a punt at this. It could be the cold water slamming shut when temperature is reached for the shower flow. That cold feed then vibrating against something that transmits to your side.

It does this at the ball cock on the cold water tank in my house, my son has a horrible habit (printable one) of taking a shower late at night when we all have gone to bed. The cold water tank valve keeps slamming shut every 15 to 20 seconds. It would seem that the cold tank fills quicker than the demand. Difficult to put into words :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.
No I am pretty certain it isn't shower related.
It has even done it when no one is in next door.

It happens twice a day at about the same times and is regular in noise and time. Consistent with something timed, such as the central heating system being on.

3 knocks, 10 to 15 second gap, 3 knocks, 10 to 15 second gap. Repeated for up to an hour each time.
(The knocks are spaced at 1 second intervals).

It sounds mechanical in nature.

Sponsored Links
If you have narrowed the times down to what you say, I would have thought that between you and your neighbour, you could find the source. Buy a few beers and spend the hour over at theirs:cool:

Make sure he/she hasn't locked up the mother in law down in the basement (who didn't learn her morse code properly ---...--- ---...---) :)

... The cold water tank valve keeps slamming shut every 15 to 20 seconds. It would seem that the cold tank fills quicker than the demand. Difficult to put into words :rolleyes:
no help to m31, but for you, a Torbeck will make you marvel at how quiet it can be.

If you get one of the older ones that can chatter/hammer in the final few seconds, Opella will send you FOC a new end-cap with anti-hammer part. I would have thought all new stock is sent out with that revision fitted, by now.

As suggested, I will probably have to take it up (politely) with the neighbour.
I was just hoping to go round armed with some knowledge as to what it could be.
Thanks for all the replies.

That's the Plumber's Position.

You stay in for hours and no-one comes.

Funny you should say that. I was lying in bed the other night when I heard tap, tap, tap at the bloody window pane. I looked out - you know who it was? Greta bloody Garbo!

I know this is an ancient discussion, but it came up when I googled the issue I was experiencing with my neighbours. I was amazed that the timings of the knocks described were the exact same. Unfortunately there was no confirmed answer on here and I put it down to pipes banging.

However, just in case anyone finds this forum in future, I have the answer after spotting something through a window. The neighbours have got a dart board. 3 bangs, short pause, 3 bangs. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back