Banging noise in central heating system

The concern here though is that the installer didn't know to check this, it's system fault finding 1'o'1. If the rads/pipes start to bang when a new system has been installed then the valves would be the first thing to check.

That being said you do have to give them the opportunity to sort it and if they cant then they would need to pay to get it sorted by someone that knows what they're are doing.

The installer, even if the original boiler wasn't functioning, would have been easily able to check the flow direction from the boiler's hardware - pumps are clearly marked. Even failing that, he could have checked via an online manual - so really no excuse for getting it wrong.

Sponsored Links
so really no excuse for getting it wrong.

TBH I don't even think it's about getting it wrong .... it's probably more about not even knowing that swapping them could cause an issue with the rad valves and when it does, then not knowing what to do about it, or where to look.

I agree - I am concerned the installer didn't do the obvious checks despite having credentials and recommendations. I will give him the chance to put it right but my confidence is not high.

On your point about the pump setting, I agree. It made no sense to me to put the pump speed higher so I turned it back down - it was too noisy and didn't solve anything.

I'd like to thank everyone on this website - you've all been incredibly helpful and I will keep you updated with progress

sadly it is a lot more common than you would think

My dad renewed his heating system pipework, spent time making sure all the trvs was on the flow, and lockshields on the return, when the new boiler got installed he had it moved to the loft, as it's a bungalow all the pipes run in the loft and then down the walls.

The installer managed to mix the flow and return wrong way round so my dad then had to go round and swap all the valves around. ( I said he should get the installer back round) but the installer refused and said it didn't matter as they were all 2 way valves. The installer was right in a sense but it wouldnt always be guaranteed that the valves are 2 way In a lot of installations

Sponsored Links
Credit to your Dad for being switched on enough to know what to look out for - Unfortunately I'm learning the hard way

no...the old system was perfectly installed and had no issues for 14 years. Unfortunately that plumber had retired so went for a new guy. The old plumber checked everything and his installation looked very impressive. Can't say the same about the new guy who took a year to complete the commissioning document after chasing him

no...the old system was perfectly installed and had no issues for 14 years. Unfortunately that plumber had retired so went for a new guy. The old plumber checked everything and his installation looked very impressive. Can't say the same about the new guy who took a year to complete the commissioning document after chasing him

Oh dear.

Ok I just wanted to rule out it wasn't the pipes in the floor boards expanding, as this can cause banging.

I've attached a picture of my HW cylinder - not sure where to look to check if flow and return to coil is reversed

You can insert pics using copy and paste

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ian

i think I have figured it out - the flow and return on the cylinder coil match up with the flow and return on the boiler

posted a pic about hour ago but needs to approved before it's shown...will try to post it again

two pics showing cylinder connections

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back