banging pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very old oil fired boiler that is serviced yearly by my oil company. Lately, however, we are woken in the middle of the night by extremely loud clanging/banging in the pipes. The noise subsides after a huge burst of steam is heard from the regulators. I have also noticed that with 2 of the radiators that there is a bit of rusty water that is coming out of the regulators as well. One problem - when the boiler was serviced before this heating season they filled the boiler with water. When I went to turn it on, I did not realize that there was water and began to fill - really overfill the boiler. I don't know if this is part of the problem. Thoughts?!?!? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This is primarily a UK site, so don't know your systems, but it could be you have overpressurised the system and when it heats up the safety valves are operating. Could be blockages/lack of flow that is causing banging.

Only very general advice though.

Call your engineers back in to check.

wow , you use steam :eek: like in the films where there`s steam coming up through the pavements in the dimly lit `hood :?:

Sponsored Links
When you take any sort of water heating to its basics for any sort of thumping and banging to occur on a system that normally runs ok it must be a faulty boiler stat or a inlet valve passing and allowing flame to stay on when it should be off that is allowing too much heat to get into system..

When the guy mentions steam i don`t think he means it is a steam system but it is getting that hot steam is being produced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back