Banging pipes!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so you got to love victorian houses, seems im never off these forums!! lol, ok so we have to replace our boiler in the next few months as ours is 30 years old and a bit ****, Our electric shower doesnt work and we dont want to renovate the bathroom yet so I added some cheap shower mixer taps, The pressure isnt great but im sure that will change when the boiler is replaced, The issue is when im mixing the cold tap to get the right temperature i get a banging at around the point where I need the tap to be. The banging is coming from the pipe underneath the bath and we also get a pulsing of pressure from the tap, If i add less or more cold the banging ceases!!! typical, so i either leave it and the pipe bursts or freeze to death or get scolded!!! any ideas, do i need to bleed some air out! The old taps didnt do this when i ran a bath!!

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a vented system check your ball valve in your CWSC feeding your hot water cylinder, Also i hope you have put check valves on your hot and cold supply because by the sounds of it your cold is fed from your mains and you will next be on here with a dripping overflow :) Also remove the bath panel if possible and clip the pipes correctly.

Try a new washer on the cold tap :idea: a rubber one - could be a cheap plastic one fitted

Would it be a cheap plastic washer!!? It is a new mixer shower!! IT drives me nuts because we cant use it now as the banging gets too bad, If only we could get it to a good temperature without the banging!! Have tried with the taps running and not the shower and same thing, It is when the cold tap gets to a certain position it bangs!!

Sponsored Links
Adjust your stop cock, there is some resonance going on, messing with the stop cock might change things enough to shift it.

Hopefully not somewhere else.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back