Banisters - Have I messed up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

The banisters in a house we have purchased a few months ago are a horrible cream gloss which has been badly applied with run marks all over the place. We'd like to repaint this properly. I'm aware that the general idea is to key the surface to take the gloss off and then to repaint.

However, I got a bit carried away and I think I've messed up... I was using 80 grade sandpaper and taking the paint off. In many places I've gone right back to bare wood, however, we'd not want to do this everywhere - the finer points of the turned spindles for example.

If I have a mix of bare wood, keyed surface, is the resulting finish when repainted going to basically be horrible? - Also, was 80g a bad choice?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to go over it all with 180 /240 grit and even it all out then use an undercoat and see what it looks like before committing to the gloss if it looks ok paint it if not resand and repeat

I didn't want to repaint using gloss, satin at most, ideally matt...

Well to repaint properly you would use a gloss paint ..Matt is just emulsion and wouldn't last a week before it started to chip as soon as you brush against it
Satin will last a bit longer and gloss longer still

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking I could use Dulux Satinwood now based on a quick search on the way home?

If I have some parts back to bare wood and some parts with gloss with the sheen off, but it all feels smooth, will the satinwood take and look okay do you think? - I know in an ideal world it would all be the same, but we have a huge amount to do so it's a fine balance between awful corner cutting and spending 2 weeks per spindle!

Okay cool. I'm now considering sanding the rail back to bare wood and varnishing it, but keeping the spindles white/pale satin colour... I reckon it could look good and be more hard wearing.

you need to rid the worst of the 80 grit as the scratches can show up beneath the paint when finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back