Bannister, post and spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old Victorian terraced house and have stripped the bannisters, post and spindles back to bare wood. It is very old wood, previously filled and painted many times, a lot of wear and some splits and holes that were previously filled with white filler, as well as small bits of old white paint that remain in the small grooves, corners and gouged wood etc.

They are small but now what to put over it all? Stain will take almost everywhere apart from on these white bits. I have thought of mixing up a dark wash paint but would that actually cover both the old white bits as well as let the grain show through? If diluting to create a wash, that is normally done with water but this is wood, so does that mean I can only use a chalk paint?

I am flexible to colour as have the stringers stripped too, albeit was going to do them with satinwood white. I would rather contrast colours but rather look at other options than just to paint all, as now that they are all back to wood and some grain showing through would be better. Need something reasonably hard-wearing and if it wasn't for these small bits, would likely be dark staining at least the post, bannisters and spindles.

Any suggestions/advice very welcomed please. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Wood filler and oil based white paint

Thanks. Although was hoping that I could avoid gloss paint and use something that would show the grain.

A good gloss is very durable and resists scuffing and abrasions much better, and sets off a staircase of that era imo, but water based paint will work.

Sponsored Links
You can use oil based stain to colour the white filler, then apply a coloured oil such as Sadolins over it.

You might need to use a darker stain than you think though. The white filler, will, for example make a mahogany stain look almost orange. If it is still too light, you can apply more of the Sadolins over the specific area before "painting" the whole area.

The finish is translucent but as you apply additional coats, you will see less of the grain.

Thanks to everyone, a lot to think about.

Opps, when you say "oil based stain to colour the white filler, then apply a coloured oil such as Sadolins"....aren't an oil based stain and a coloured oil the same thing? I mean as an example Sadolin Classic Wood Protection is solvent based...and is also a stain? So 2 coats of the same thihin.

or do you mean like a Sadolins decking oil?
Thanks again.

John

They aren't the same thing.

If you apply oil based stain, it doesn't seal the wood. You could, for example, wipe away some of the stain with a cloth dipped in white spirit.

If you apply a coat of the Sadolin Classic, once cured it should be free from dilution by white spirit.

The touch up pens recommended by @foxhole would be cheaper than buying dedicated tins of stain.

Aah, okay.

So the oil will effectively cover the white filler and caulk or whatever (with various coats to cover) ....with the stain then sealing that in?

I am not at all sure I'd be able to get the pens in to the crevices and angles were spindles meet baserail and top rail.

Aah, okay.

So the oil will effectively cover the white filler and caulk or whatever (with various coats to cover) ....with the stain then sealing that in?

I am not at all sure I'd be able to get the pens in to the crevices and angles were spindles meet baserail and top rail.

This is the woodstain. It is a spirit based stain- I think I might have confused you by calling it an oil based stain- on reflection, it might have been more helpful to call it solvent based wood stain. That is what I would use to colour the filler. I would then apply the Sadolins (once the stain has dried).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back