How to spruce up bannister?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of decorating the hallway and stairs.
The floor is medium-colour oak wood, the stairs a light beige woven carpet (but will be changed at some point), and the walls will be a terracotta colour (perhaps a teeny bit lighter than the usual terracotta).
The skirting and architrave is currently being replaced by pine with an oak varnish (which is what we have done in the lounge and looks nice).

The problem I have is with the bannisters. They were originally stained a dark colour, and have since been done over in white gloss. I have just finished stripping what I can of the gloss, but there are still white bits in the deep crevices around the joins.

So what do I do. I see threee options:
1. do my best to strip and then sand the stain off, and then paint as per the skirting. (probably look awful?)
2. Keep it as white gloss.
3. Paint it some other colour that complements the rest of the hall.

It is only a short bit of bannister (having only 4 spindles), so doing something bold won't necessarily have a negative effect.

Just wanting any opinions on what might look total carp, or if anyone else has done something similar to good effect?

(note: the reason for wood colour skirting as that's what the last lot here did, except they left the architrave white, which looked terrible)

Cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
3. Paint it some other colour that complements the rest of the hall.

It is only a short bit of bannister (having only 4 spindles), so doing something bold won't necessarily have a negative effect.

Cheers
Al
I`d go with that ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back