Bar top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I don't normally work on this type of thing or with cellulose paints or clear-coats so I need advice from anyone who does.
I have a good friend who is restoring a bar. He has bought a great big slice of kiln dried wood straight off the tree and is hoping to a/.keep the wainy edge with it's bark on it and b/. spray it with a cellulose to keep the surface good.
So anybody got any hints and tips on a/.how to keep that 1" bark on the edge and b/.what the best type of sealer would be and the process/prep required before spraying a cellulose bar top product onto bare wood.
Hoping you guys can help.
Cait

Sponsored Links
Hello Cait...

Hmm....Keeping the bark on the edge...tacks maybe...or what about removing the bark and glueing it back on ?..Cascomite is a very good wood glue.

Pre treatment prior to celulose laquer...shelac sanding sealer?....good coat oat that and then flatten down the grain....then its celulose....sand....celulose sand....etc until the bar has a nice deep sheen.

Hi cait. I did a similar thing with a huge chunk of pine several years ago. Me being a humble white an magnolia decci I suggested customer get a french polisher in as I didn't think ordinary varnish etc would suit his posh bar :LOL: However when I did his staircase/ minstral gallery/ floors with some SADOLIN PV67 He got me to do this bartop. Pv67 Is a two pack laquer, dries hard in 1Hr and can walk on it 4 hrs later. Applied with brush but it really flows out to give a glass like finish . Did this in 1999 and was doing some more work there this year and bar top is still like glass, and believe me it gets some use they are almost alcho's. The bark hasnt moved btw though it was quite solidly attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back