Barbecue paint on body panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174750

Will BBQ paint be suitable for spraying the new tank with?

Got a new tin of this plastikote stuff in the shed.

The new tank is already painted with some grey stuff, seems too shiny to be primer so I've Zinc 182'd the seams and filler pipe, and also hammerited them. But the hammerite is grey and if I can avoid buying a new tin of black paint when this bbq stuff will do then I've more money to spend on ermm... more important stuff.

I'm not sure that the aerosol will adhere properly to the hammerite, although a quick going over with some steel wool between coats will be in order.

Simoniz sell a high temp paint which is said to be also suitable for bbq's so I'm guessing it's more or less the same gear inside.

Sponsored Links
The grey paint it came in is a primer. The Zinc 182 really ought to have gone on before the primer. The plastikote BBQ paint should adhere whereas if you put hammerite on plastikote it's likely to react.

As a general rule of thumb, the more coatings of whatever paint you use, the better against corrosion.

If you really want long term protection then when you have painted it coat it with waxoil. Messy I know but it does work.

I went with the BBQ stuff, and it's gone on no probs and with a good finish. I did hammerite on top of that over the seams and exposed areas, no negative effects so far, I've also put hammerite waxoyl on the top of the seams, with a view to adding more underneath when the tank is fitted.

Bringing me to my next problem...

Sponsored Links
Back