Bare pine doors need to be varnished

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats a good coloured varnish to use on three new doors we have had fitted, i will be varnishing them in the garage as we ahev a baby so really a varnish that can take drying somewhere that may not be 100% dry and not heated is needed.

thinking Ronseal diamond, do they need to be thinned at all??

all advice welcome, have never varnished totally new wood before.

Sponsored Links
You need to thin the first coat..thats crutial.

Dont spend too much time rubbing them down before you varnish..the grain will raise up again once they are varnished anyway.

Go for oil not water based varnish..water based stuff can look a little pale..oil brings out the colour in the wood.

Always rub in the direction of the grain, otherwise you will scratch it.

If your hoping to put a colour on , don't use a stain varnish. better to use a seperate stain, then rub down and put on several coats of clear polyurethene varnish, harder than yaght varnish and sand between coats. the stain varnish can go patchy when being applied as its trying to stain and varnish at the same time, which it doesn't do very well.

Sponsored Links
Yeh, I agree with that..I use oil based wood dye with a drop of varnish in it to make it go further and raise the grian of the wood..rub down with 320 grade abrasive paper and a coiuple of coats of satin varnish

Coloured stains look awful...they show every brushmark and have a poor final finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back