base for a steel motorbike shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am getting a pre fabricated steel motorbike shed delivered.. 8ft long, 5 ft wide. It is flat bottomed. It will go on my driveway which is gravelled. They have said it needs to go on a flat surface.

Can I just get some type 1 sub base and compact it? Is there really a need to put pavers / cement on top of the sub base?

Sponsored Links
yes a steel flat bottomed one.. it's basically a large steel box being delivered on the back of a flat bed lorry.

I understand why it needs to go on a flat surface, I am just looking for the least amount of expense to have a flat base for it, which will not sink. Basically wondering if concrete or pavers are really needed. The rest of the driveway will just remain a layer of gravel on top of compacted soil.

1696283136454.png

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have no desire to bolt it down, then yeh just plonk it down on any level surface.

I've got a 26ft container sat on the soil, it's on wooden bearers but that was as much about the hiab man being able to get his lifting slings out from underneath

Assuming you have no desire to bolt it down, then yeh just plonk it down on any level surface.

I've got a 26ft container sat on the soil, it's on wooden bearers but that was as much about the hiab man being able to get his lifting slings out from underneath
thanks for the reply.. can you suggest a cheaper option than compacting sub base? I mean I can't see it really sinking

Do you just think compacting the soil and gravel I already have there would be enough?

I can't see anyone running off with it lol

Steel in contact with the ground will rust quite quickly.

If it's a gravel driveway surely there's no more compacting to be done?

If the gravel isn't level, try and rake it out, or you could "blind" it over with a thin layer of sharp sand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back