Base for an 8x6 greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soil is clay.

It's on my allotment, I've been told I can have one but that the base cannot be permanent in nature, i.e. I can't pour a slab.

This leaves me with a few options:

1) concrete sleepers around perimeter

2) Bricks around perimeter

3) concrete blocks around perimeter

4) paving slabs around perimeter

I don't like the idea of a timber base unless it's raised off the ground, this would be difficult as it's a greenhouse, not a shed.

As for the inside I planned on taking off about 2-3 inches of topsoil and infilling with gravel, to help drain and stop weeds.

Not sure whether I would need to bother with a sub-base with any of the above options?

The point is a solid base for the alluminium frame.

Oh, and lastly I would consider making my own sleepers with concrete if it is cheaper, perhaps I would need to add some rebar with this option, and also what size sections should I make them in ?

Thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddy, you mean a concrete base ? I've been told I can't do that

Sponsored Links
If you are implying just the paving stones on their own I really don't think that's adequate. A greenhouse is weighty

If it can't be permanent then you have little choice. A good base could withstand a lorry driving/parking on it, so build a good base and it'll be fine. A block paved road is compacted hardcore, sand and blocks, yet it can cope with artics/buses etc. There's no concrete involved.

It wouldn't be too pricey if I went down about 100mm + the depth of the paving, and infilled with hardcore and sand, as long as this isn't classed as permanent. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back