Moving slabs on bounded base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am half way through laying a base for my greenhouse. It is a perimeter of edging slabs laid on a concrete bounded base. The slabs are approximately 900x150x50mm and laid on a mix of between 5:1 and 6:1 sand to cement.

Having laid 4 of the eight slabs I have now discovered they are slightly out of place and the remaining slabs will clash with an existing curb. Being inexperienced I suspect I was concentrating so hard on ensuring the slabs were level that I failed to notice the final position was out by a couple of degrees.

I wonder if it would be feasible to move the slabs by about 10mm and retain the existing bed which is now firmly set. Or will I need to take it out and start laying again?

There is enough of the existing bed around the slabs to just loosen them and replace in the correct position. And they will eventually be held in place by the greenhouse being screwed down plus a mortar edge being applied.

Sponsored Links
I think you know the answer....

Sorry.

The only possible easy way out ould be to lift them and use a thin slurry of tile cement to bond them, but by the time your buy some tile cement and faff around you could have probably lifted and re laid them normally with mortar

thanks r896neo. In the end I decided to dig most of the retaining curb out as it was only held in place by well compacted earth. I also had to cut a small corner off the final slab but thankfully the Greenhouse's dimensions allowed it to fit the base even with the missing corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back