base for WC

I

imamartian

this is slightly different to the earlier WC question...

just removed my old wc which was sitting on a pile of mortar (or very hard poo!). Chiselled that off the concrete floor and as it's come away it's left the floor slightly uneven. Is there a compound i can used to 'bed' the WC on, or should i use silicon? or maybe a piece of ply? or nowt?

And secondly, when i screw the WC down, should i use any sort of rubber (?) washer to stop the screwhead coming into contact with the porcelain?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Rebed it back in mortar and screw it down, used to do it all the time for concete as it won't move if its left to set.

First off, welcome to Earth... or should I say 'Nanoo Nanoo'? I know Mork used to. :confused: Sorry about the weather in this country but as you'll find, it gives us something to talk about.

Now then, to the space craft Pan. Its hard to say not being able to see the floor but I'd say on the information given, try self levelling compound. If you decide to use the self levelling compound you would be better off spreading it across the whole floor to give yourself a nice even finish. Using Ply would obviously raise the pan above the floor. In which case you might find you have difficulty in realigning the pan to the soil pipe.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Have a safe journey back.... Probably shouldn't say this but... I'm more of a Snickers man myself!

Sponsored Links
What about a bit of lino (and i don't mean the one who just disallowed Liverpool's goal!).

Like the idea of the screwcaps - thanks.

And Blasphemous.... what can i say...
:mrgreen:

would use cement mix if unsteady but as you say its not so why bother with cement and what not just fix it in with brass screws, bowl should be rebated to allow countersink screws if you put rubber washers in or anything then your screw will be likely to protrude ruining the finish and not so great when cleaning pish from the floor.

imamartian said:
this is slightly different to the earlier WC question...

just removed my old wc which was sitting on a pile of mortar (or very hard poo!). Chiselled that off the concrete floor and as it's come away it's left the floor slightly uneven. Is there a compound i can used to 'bed' the WC on, or should i use silicon?
I recommend nothing underneath, then screw it down, then silicone the joint to (a) look nice and (b) stop the wee from going underneath.

And secondly, when i screw the WC down, should i use any sort of rubber (?) washer to stop the screwhead coming into contact with the porcelain?
You can buy screw cushions that come with white caps to cover the screw heads.

BTW, use only brass screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back