basement just flooded should i raise the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved in2 a new house the basement flooded due 2 the water table we are quite close 2 the river 7 . it does not happen every year came up a couple of inches should i raise the2 make it last plus i have 2 radiator floor 2 make it in 2 a usable room was going 2 dry line the walls with the foiled backed plasterboard while i was at it is there anyway of keeping the water out or a way of treating the wood frame

Sponsored Links
this is a forum where you use a key board, not a keypad on a phone.

from what i can understand that would be a waste of time, since what if it floods higher next time, where do you stop?

I would suggest you dig a sump and fit a sump pump with float switch

How about rendering the walls with a waterproof render, also carrying the render down from the walls onto the floor to stop water coming through the wall/floor junction.

It's a standard application for application to concrete, sound render, brick, block. The surface must be sound, solid, not moving or flexing, mortar joints are best raked out to give a key for the render to key into.

To create a totally watertight render, proceed as follows - and note that this is good enough in a swimming pool!

Apply a cement:sharp sand mortar with Ronafix and water. This will give you a watertight render.

The mix for the bonding primer is:
1:1 Ronafix : cement

The mix for the render is:
1:2.5 cement : dry medium sharp sand
Gauged with 3:1 Ronafix : water

Mix by adding enough of the Ronafix / water solution to the cement and sand to give a render consistency.

Apply 1 x 6mm coat to the damped and primed surface, comb it and let it cure for 6-12 hours at 20oC.

Prime again and apply second 6mm coat.

Leave with wood float or steel trowelled finish.

Cure and protect for 24 hours.

Et voila - watertight render!

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back