Basement Retaining Wall Paint Defect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is correct section on the forum, but we have a basement flat in Edinburgh and I'm looking to repaint the wall. The issue is the paint appears to be bubbling (?) photos attached. Initally I thought it would be moss etc growing behind but have chipped off some and think this is caused by moisture build-up behind which has just been painted over and over.

Does anyone know of any effective ways of removing this prior to repainting? I've enquired about soda/glass blasting but it's quite expensive considering I'm planning to repaint, or should we just live with it and paint over?

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Looks pretty damp, judging by the green on the steps and the bubbling is build up of salts washed from the stonework. You might be on a hiding to nothing as unless the damp egress is sorted, it will do the same again, however that is likely to be 10's of years of deposit.

I have done something similar before, take a sturdy scraper or a flat spade and scrape of the worst of it and then use a wire brush to smooth it out, paint over. Will not be perfect and may have to do it again in a couple of years, but will be cheap to do.

Looks pretty damp, judging by the green on the steps and the bubbling is build up of salts washed from the stonework. You might be on a hiding to nothing as unless the damp egress is sorted, it will do the same again, however that is likely to be 10's of years of deposit.

I have done something similar before, take a sturdy scraper or a flat spade and scrape of the worst of it and then use a wire brush to smooth it out, paint over. Will not be perfect and may have to do it again in a couple of years, but will be cheap to do.

Thanks for your comments - was looking at getting heavy duty scraper from screwfix an array of tools to help - think once ive scraped it I may need to repoint some areas which come loose - but seeing its getting repainted then im sure my amateur attempt should be fine.

The wall is pretty damp and our neighbours say they generally re-paint theres annuall - unfortunately it's retaining a public pavement/road so no way of ever damp proofing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back