Repointing and painting an external brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We've got a brick wall between our property and our neighbour's.

It's painted white, but I want to repaint it as it's getting a bit tired and there's some flaking and, generally low down, quite a lot of bubbling.

My intention was to scrape off the bubbling paint and repaint. Having scraped most of it off, though, there are areas of crumbling mortar beneath. So I thought I'd rake these out, repoint and then repaint.

Having raked out a small section, I had a slight crisis of confidence (I am a total amateur).

My questions:
1) Should I only rake out the crumbliest mortar and leave the rest well alone? I'm assuming that if it needs properly chipping out I should leave it be, but it's not black and white - some areas have pretty much fallen out, some will come with a little coaxing, some seem sound. It's hard to know where to draw the line.

2) When I repaint, do I need a breathable paint? I've already bought standard masonry paint (there are other non-brick walls I want to do) so will this be fine? As I say, the wall is already painted, so, I'll just be painting over that for the most part, but I have no idea what kind of paint was previously used.

3) Do I need to do a mist coat on the areas of bare brick and exposed mortar?

We're talking about quite a big wall, but the repointing area is really quite small. I just want to get it right..!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
On vertical joints, I'd rake out the entire thing up the the adjoining horizontal joints. On horizontals, I'd just remove the crumbling bits and bits that come out with a bit of coaxing. An SDS drill with a mortar rake attachment will make it miles easier.

Masonry paint will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back