Painting External Brick Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my back walls, which is painted, had a nasty damp problem (wall turned out to be a closed off chimney, which wasn't quite closed off so had been leaking for years).

The damp issue was sorted last year and although we wanted to paint the wall due to excessive damage to the paintwork and the pointing, so we were advised to leave it to dry for a year or so, which we have done.

There's still quite a lot of damaged paintwork on it (bubbling and flaking) which I'm going to remove this weekend, then re-point.

Once that's all done, I need to repaint the wall and wanted to know what I should do to the wall in preparation (base coats etc) and also what kind of paint would be best to use (breathable etc). The colour needs to be white to match the rest of the terrace.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by leaking? My chimney is open to the elements as are millions of others. You'll find your damp problem is elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
The fireplaces are long gone, as are the chimney pots and coping stones. All the houses in the terrace have had this done, many decades ago and all were covered over with flashing. Our flashing was shot to hell and so was letting a lot of water in.

We were getting damp on the inside too on the other side of the wall and that has cleared up over the period since the leak was repaired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back