External Wall Paint Peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The external paint on our kitchen extension wall is peeling and bubbling in places (mostly the bottom half of the wall. The top half is fairly sound). I have started to strip back the paint back where neccesary and want to repair it before repainting.

Where the paint has been stripped back should i level up the bare render to the existing paint work with some filling agent before i repaint? If so should i use a thin layer of new render? If not what should i use? Or should I try and strip back the whole wall. And if so what is the easiest way to strip the paint back.

Grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_155840.jpg
    IMG_20200527_155840.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
The external paint on our kitchen extension wall is peeling and bubbling in places (mostly the bottom half of the wall. The top half is fairly sound

Sounds like a damp wall, most likely (in a kitchen) associated with plumbing or drains (sometimes a gutter)

Please stand back and take a wide photo of the wall, inside and out, all the way to ground level.

Is the floor concrete?

Do you know where the underground water supply pipe runs?

Thanks for your prompt response JohnD

My guess is it is not a leak. It peeled fairly soon after the extension was built so I put it down to being painted when the bottom of the wall was still a bit damp. The floor under the cupboards against the wall is bone dry. It is a concrete floor. The peeled part of the wall itself feels completely dry. It has not got any worse over the past ten years. It runs along a narrow side alley and I have been extremely neglectful in not dealing with it sooner!

You mean the paint peeled 10 years ago?

Photos would be nice.

Is it just the external rendered wall? I couldn't see it earlier.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the paint peeled ten years ago. I have recently stripped away all the loose stuff. No other part of the extension is affected. I have attached a photo. Thanks.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back