Basic fitting questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am fitting few kitchen units, have 2 questions:

1. Space between oven and units, is 5mm enough so can pull in/out if required? Pls see pic below.

2. I need to cut few panels, they are gloss mdf, some painted others wrapped. What's the best way to cut for smooth finish, not damaging edges paint / vinyl? I have a jigsaw but can invest in a circular saw if had to.

TIA
spaces units.png

Sponsored Links
5 mm is a bit tight.
I usually leave 10 to 15mm depending on kitchen layout.
To cut the panel ideally you need a table saw, otherwise a circular saw with a good blade and a guide to go straight.
Practice on a scrap first to see how the blades bites into the panel wrapping.

5 mm is a bit tight.
I usually leave 10 to 15mm depending on kitchen layout.
To cut the panel ideally you need a table saw, otherwise a circular saw with a good blade and a guide to go straight.
Practice on a scrap first to see how the blades bites into the panel wrapping.

Do you mean 10 to 15 mm on each side?

Agree, I should invest on a circular saw, would 60 or 70 tpi good enough?

Sponsored Links
Better looking in the cooker/oven instructions especially if it’s a gas one. These will tell you how much you’re allowed either side, above etc. If you can’t locate the instructions then ask the manufacturer if it can be fitted to BS6172.

Better looking in the cooker/oven instructions especially if it’s a gas one. These will tell you how much you’re allowed either side, above etc. If you can’t locate the instructions then ask the manufacturer if it can be fitted to BS6172.
I have looked in cooker installation instructions, there are few things to take care of mainly about distance from wall units and wall behind but no restrictions about my question above.

One more question:

The depth of base cabinets including doors are 600mm. Does the side panel has to be 600mm or 300mm will do the job?
I mean can the side panel be 300mm which will cover the front half of the cabinet and the rest of the cabinet between appliances will not be seen anyway. Also the top part of cabinet will be covered by the worktop.
Obviously, the end exposed panel should be full depth.

Thanks

Would masking tape on cutting line help?

Yes

One more question:

The depth of base cabinets including doors are 600mm. Does the side panel has to be 600mm or 300mm will do the job?
I mean can the side panel be 300mm which will cover the front half of the cabinet and the rest of the cabinet between appliances will not be seen anyway. Also the top part of cabinet will be covered by the worktop.
Obviously, the end exposed panel should be full depth.

Thanks

I don't bodge, so I would say go with full panels.
However if you're sure it can't be seen...

I have looked in cooker installation instructions, there are few things to take care of mainly about distance from wall units and wall behind but no restrictions about my question above.
Have another read, it might say walls/surfaces. This is an extract from BS6172:

Attachments

• 2A89A8C0-70EA-47E1-87CA-365A26206EF1.jpeg
    2A89A8C0-70EA-47E1-87CA-365A26206EF1.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 72
Have another read, it might say walls/surfaces. This is an extract from BS6172:

I said above, I have read cooker installation instructions, in which states clearly "cooker may be fitted flush to base units", see below.

cooker flush.jpg

You asked if 5cm is enough yet you know they can be fitted flush? :confused:(n)
I was asking from practical point view, if and when cooker needs to moved out for service/repair/replace...etc.

In my experience, the more flush they are, the harder they are to get out yes, but 5cm should be enough (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back