Basic loft conversion for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about converting our loft into useful storage space/games room, its a fairly recent build (1986).
I was thinking 100mm of roll insulation covered with chipboard for the deck and 100mm kingspan between the rafters with plasterboard over the top. Obviously there will be some other work involved but would i be able to do it in the way i have described or is there alot more work involved . :confused:

Sponsored Links
This sounds very like what has already been done to a house that my son has just bought. The previous people even installed a proper stairway but this caused his surveyor to issue a warning. This "room" is not up to building regulations standard (and without considerable expense never could be) and should not be used as such. I have even been advised on this website that the whole "conversion" is illegal.

The key to what you suggest may be the method of entry. If you use a retractable loft ladder through an ordinary hatch that MIGHT be OK but any permanent stairway looks to be a no-no. Please be aware that I am only giving you this warning as a complete layman and only to stop you making an expensive mistake.

I am thinking about converting our loft into useful storage space/games room

By going down the route of converting to a games room, you'll open up a whole can of worms, which will result in you having to comply with the building regulations. This would require a fixed/permanent staircase, appropriate headroom, fire resistance, etc...

So it's best to decide now if you're wanting to convert the area for storage purposes, which will not warrant the amount of work required under the BR's or go the whole hog.

And as per your insulation upgrading. 100mm between the rafters would not suffice. You need to maintain a 25-50mm air gap and then the u-values are commonly achieved with insulation between and under the rafters, where the roof structure exists. This would in turn reduce headroom in the loft slightly. If it's a new roof (i.e. new build), then to maintain the maximum area, it's recommended to insulation between and over the rafters.

I have no intention of fitting a permanent stairway into the loft, by games room i mean a place to setup large layouts for things like trains and scalextric, my son is mad on both of them and i have seen some examples of the loft conversions i am thinking of. I don't wan't to make it into a room for living, just somewhere for some clean storage and a place for the lad to have his layouts ;) .

Sponsored Links
Well as the works will not require BR approval, then you can do what you like up there :)

though worth remembering that a modern house will usually have a roof made with trussed rafters ("W" shaped timbers) which take up a lot of space and must not be cut or moved

Its o.k john i have no intention of cutting anything :D, well maybe the loft hatch to install a loft ladder but i will seek advice on that.
As we all know lofts are freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer so it goes without saying that the roof will need to be insulated, the floor of the loft is already insulated with fresh blanket insulation so thats one box ticked but i am curious as to what is best for the roof and its thickness :confused:

i am curious as to what is best for the roof and its thickness :confused:

Well something is going to be better than nothing. Why not fill the rafter spacings with insulation, but maybe look at maintaining a 25mm-50mm air gap, just incase. And then you could look at applying some insulation to the underside of the rafters. Depends how far you're willing to go. Applying anything under the rafters will of course reduce headroom in the loft, but not by very much. However, in a loft, every little helps.

Iam looking to spend upto £1000 so i was thinking cellotex (i think thats what its called) would be adequate.
Is there anything better than this for the money?

It's called Celotex, so nearly. There are many different products and all vary in price. Celotex could be deemed as quite expensive and so others (especially contractors) will look at an alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back