Basic loft-to-storage conversion -- cheap but safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm planning on hiring a builder (is this the relevant tradesperson?) to convert our loft into the most basic space for storage. The property is a small Victorian mid-terrace. Rough estimate for the space I'd like to reclaim would be 4x3m. I was thinking to do away with wired lighting to get it as cheap as possible. The aim is safe and accessible space to store a mix of heavy and light stuff: equipment boxes, diy tools, lighting equipment (heavy tripods, lights), possibly lockable files.

How much should I expect to spend on materials and labour? Would appreciate some guidance as well on what requirements to expect or ask of builder.

Thanks,
J

Sponsored Links
it would be interesting to know what are the dimensions and spacing of your existing loft timbers, the unsupported span between walls, and a photo of the layout might help.

If the house was built with a slate roof the roof timbers are probably very frail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back