Loft - part insulating between rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting my loft boarded out in anticipation of some light storage. The joists are only 60mm deep (cheap victorian terraced workers' cottage).

Of the thin (60mm) space blanket type insulation that was already there, a section got taken up in one corner 5 years ago when I wanted to put spotlights down into the bathroom.

The guy doing the boarding suggested re-using this by putting it in between the rafters, but it would only reach half way up.

I'm wondering if there's any point to this? Surely the heat would just escape through the uninsulated apex of the roof? He said it'd still help stop draughts round the eaves.

Would welcome others' opinions on this! :)

Sponsored Links
Have you considered raising your loft level before you board it.
You can run timbers perpendicular to your existing joist thus raising the level for increased insulation depth.
No point insulating between the rafter of the roof pitch, if only for storage.
Leave it uninsulated (roof) and make sure your eaves are also not blocked, allowing ventilation and air to circulate in the loft space or you could end up with condensation problems.

Yeah, I did consider raising, but the existing joists are only 6cm deep, I really didn't think putting that much weight on them's a good idea.

Was worried about the condensation problem. Could it happen with space blanket type material? From all I've read it seems to be more pertinant to things like Kingspan?

It can happen with any insulations, if air is not allowed to circulate.
What supporting span are the 6cm joists, if you are concerned about any addition weight. I would be more worried about the weight of the loft boards plus storage.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what supporting span means? If you mean distance between each joist it's about 30cm.

There's boards up there now, just not nailed down.

Ahh gotcha... about 4 meters, max. More like 3.5m I'd say.

TBH.
If your joist are 60mm deep, I assume they are only 50mm wide and a span 3.5m between supports.
With the weight of the ceiling and any insulation above, I would forget about boarding it out for storage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back