How much weight on newbuild garage loft joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to put some storage up in my garage loft, but need to know if existing support would be strong enough and safe?

It's a new-build detached single garage, double skinned. about 6m long and 3m wide. There are 5 trusses supported by 5 joists which run the length of the building and supported only at the ends. The side walls go all the way up to the roof, but it looks as if the trusses aren't actually attached to the side walls at all as there's a gap all the way around except at the door and back wall sides where they're supported.

Basically I want to add some light boarding to add storage space, with no intention of standing up there myself it'll be only for stuff I can lift above my head so, up to around 15kg MAX per box, but what I'm concerned about is, roughly how much would actually be safe to put up there?

The joists themselves only have a cross section of about 1.5" x 3", which to me looks small, but then again, I've no real idea, hence why i'm here. For the moment there isn't much but I imagine it could potentially accumulate to be fairly heavy.

Basically, the more stuff I can get off the floor, the better so that I can have my man-cave back!

Sponsored Links
Just how many15kg boxes do intend keeping up there? You know when they built your garage, a couple of fat builders would have stood on those slender looking joists! Just don't go storing anything stupid up there like an anvil, spread your crap around a bit and it'll be fine.

Thanks, i thought that might be the case but 1.5"x3" looks deceptively flimsy so needed another opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back