Basic machine for Web browsing

OP...
If you've started looking into Linux on the internet... you've probably found that most of it gets technical very quickly, mostly because techies tend to run off deep into the woods when explaining things. Most of it will not be relevant, most likely vastly over-explained, and can be very off-putting indeed.

I'll keep it simple as I can.. from my own ventures to leave Windows... :)

Using a Windows PC, download and burn Lubuntu (probably best match for an old XP system/hardware) to a DVD... I have found ImgBurn to work best as it tends to get better success when using cheap DVDs (eg Tesco branded).
Change BIOS settings to boot from DVD in yer XP desktop, restart yer XP computer.
During install you will get option to 'partition' the Hard-drive. Go with this, and create a small separate partition.. say 20Gb, you will be asked to format it.. select Ext4.
You will be installing Lubuntu to this partition.
Then it's pretty much 'Ok' to everything else that crops up during install... usual stuff regarding language, timezone etc. Much of it is self-explanatory.
Not finished yet though... once installed, there should be an icon/option on the desktop screen to 'Install to Hard-drive' (similar)... do this.
Aaannd.. then it's pretty much job done..

Any probs/questions, report back... :)

*ps... don't fret about which 'desktop version' (mate, gnome, etc etc blah blah).. choose the lightest version (probably 'lxde' or similar) cos u want it running fast as possible... how much time does one spend looking at the desktop anyway.. if yer computer's on chances are yer on internet anyway.. so who cares! :D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe a 'Single Board Computer' ? Such as Rasberry Pi etc ?

-p-

I think OP may be looking for a lower-tech option...

Yottie... if you're still reading, if you can contact me via private message/conversation, I will take you through a step-by-step install (having done this a few times now).. I will do one from absolute scratch at my end using an XP-era desktop and get you up and running.. :)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your kind offer fr.
A friend has now offered to update my machine for me and, much to my disgust, I am taking the easy way out !
Regards Y.

Back