Basic Picket Fence and Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a small patio area out the back and would like to have a small boundary picket fence with gate. I have been quoted from £300 to £550! I have attached a picture with a crude outline of what I mean. There is no way in hell I am paying that amount of money for a basic picket boundary fence for all the size of it. I can get a picket fence and gate around the corner already built

https://www.eglantinetimber.com/round-top-fence.html

I have never built a fence or gate in my life. Are there any websites that’s outline the process? I would imagine it’s 2 posts either end with the fence attached then the gate but how will the gate be connected as I can’t drill a hole for the posts for them as there is a concrete base?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• CED3E06B-E1AB-45D2-BA8C-0AC87CACAAE2.jpeg
    CED3E06B-E1AB-45D2-BA8C-0AC87CACAAE2.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
you can fix a post to the side of your own house, but not your neighbour.

You can lift the paving slabs to dig post holes which may be easier than breaking the concrete yard. It's possible to get post brackets that you bolt down to concrete but the design is not very sound so they will break out if bumped hard or possibly if someone climbs or leans on the post.

The gate posts need to be strong to withstand opening, closing and swinging of the gate, especially if a child gets near it.

If you take up slabs for the posts you will have to cut a post-sized hole in the slabs, preferably a corner with an angle grinder. Other methods will crack the slabs.

If it was me I would sink concrete spurs into the ground, and bolt wooden posts to them. Then when the wood rots it is easy to replace without digging. You can also bolt on taller posts if you decide later you want a tall fence.

After you have done all this work you will think that £350 to £500 was very reasonable.

Thanks. I didn’t think I’d need to touch the slabs as the posts would be going onto the actual concrete patio area though?

that would be much harder, but you can if you want to.

You can buy or hire a concrete breaker
ae235

It is quite hard digging a post hole 2 feet deep down a small hole in concrete.

Then you will have to lay new concrete to patch the hole.

Sponsored Links
those are the sort I meant.

If you lean on them, they wrench the screws.

Fence posts apply great leverage. Wind can do it.

That sort of support is good for a pergola, carport or shed, where the frame is applying downwards weight, not sideways force.

Cheers. Might just get someone in when I can afford it. Seems an awful lot of work for a little 7ft fence lol

if you can lift the paving slabs, and use a spade, it might be much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back