Basic shed lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first sorry I'm not much of a builder - electrical mostly.

Right I'm on a mission to improve my large damp shed on a budget, make it more of a work space without everything rusting over. I have now concreted the floor, and run a french drain. Guttering fixed. Dehumdifier running.

Shiplap walls are damp to touch often though, so I think I need to improve this. I've read lots of different advice but would like to ask here!

Cost effective, basic damp proof insulation? I've read felt, bubble wrap, foil backed bubble wrap, tyvek, celotex. I'd like to keep it cheap though.

Watched this vid, any good?

happy new year!

kpm15806 acr.JPG

kpm15807 acr.JPG

Sponsored Links
Don't bother with a dehumidifier, add some vents.

Post some photos of the outside of the shed.

Ps do you live far from a supermarket? I like to be well stocked up but I've never made it to the stage of having 2 dozen tins of tomatos

thanks for reply...yes was thinking vents but it has so many gaps around id guess it's pretty ventilated! A little way from supermarket, can never have enough tinned tomatoes :)

cladding does look a bit of a mess looking at the back
kpm35809 acr.JPG

kpm35810 acr.JPG

Agree with post, dehumidifier is expensive when compared to ventilation which is free and more effective.
I used a dpc sheet to line the walls and then 9mm osb to overboard internally which if painted white with some cheap emulsion makes the whole place brighter and allows wall fixing wherever you like.
If there any skips around check for off-cuts of insulation, you can build up slowly for free.

Sponsored Links
ok so I'm with you on better ventilation. Any recommendations - it's quite a large shed something like 5mx6m are a few basic vents enough? I don't really want to cut the roof open after all the time fixding leaks :).

And on the original question, any suggestions to walls re/ damp proofing? thanks

I like to be well stocked up but I've never made it to the stage of having 2 dozen tins of tomatos
I bet you aren't a fan of spaghetti and chillis, are you? Or make your own pizza sauces, either

And on the original question, any suggestions to walls re/ damp proofing? thanks
My last shed had a "skin" of green roofing membrane fished out of the skips from a couple of jobs I was on. I applied a variety of insulated plasterboard and other insulation as available on the inside of that, topped with OSB, painted white. All FoC out of the site skips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back