Basic simple understandable order of wall prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please clear up the order of things following striping wall paper.

Strip

Sugar soap clean whole wall
Sand high points
Full low points and sand
Re sugarsoap clean whole wall

Prime whole wall then topcoat?

I just want to know the simple order of what to do. Do I need to sugar soap twice ?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Can someone please clear up the order of things following striping wall paper.

Strip

Sugar soap clean whole wall
Sand high points
Full low points and sand
Re sugarsoap clean whole wall Not necessary - just dust off.

Prime whole wall then topcoat?

I just want to know the simple order of what to do. Do I need to sugar soap twice ? No.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Haha. Also, is an undercoat, primer, sealer, all the same thing? I'm a bit confused with the language there

A sealer is generally a product used for sealing porous mineral surfaces such as plaster, render, concrete, etc.
Primers are usually products used as the first coat on new/bare timber and metalwork in order to allow the subsequent coats to adhere properly.
Undercoat is used on top of a primer to give the newly primed surface body (paint build up) and/or on top of existing coatings to obliterate colours before the finishing coat(s) are applied.
A combined primer/undercoat does the two jobs in one but usually needs a few coats to do so.

However, these terms are now often interchanged (especially primer) as new products have appeared on the market which can do a variety of the things mentioned, so your confusion is somewhat understandable.

Oh, how I remember the good old days when paints were simple and really did do what they said on the tin!

So you can get products for walls described as primers then despite primers relating mainly to metal and wood. Eg Zinsser 123?

And a sealer could be a mist coat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back