Prepping walls for paint post wall paper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Question about cleaning/prepping walls for painting.

I have now stripped all the paper off the walls in a 15m2 room. What is left is a wall that is not in too bad a state but with a few patches of paint and of course the stubborn glue.

What I would like to know is how to go about cleaning the gunk off.
Given the ceilings are 10ft high the room has a total wall space of about 40m2, which is a lot if I have to use sugar soap and a sponge... really don't want to use lining paper.

So does anyone have experience using power stripping tools such as this? http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/directory/prodView.asp?idproduct=175

Sponsored Links
I use paste stripping solution mixed in hot water and a large green scouring pad followed by sponging-off with clean water...
Failing that , resort to lining-paper for a guaranteed perfect finish ;)

Interesting tool.. Blurb makes it sound impressive.. Dusty and noisy tho? Make sure you use a face mask m8. Maybe a bit OTT?
I usally clean off paste as I strip, the walls are wet then and only need to wet with flat of brush ,, scrub the (6") brush in a figure of 8 to whip up the paste, push a wide scraper over the wet reacted paste and wipe blade clean with newspaper, finally sponge rinse that section before moving onto next section.
Fill any broken paint film areas with easyfill, >>emulsion.

Tho as lgw says Lining is the way ;)

If you use that tool lets know how it went ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the input; we've resorted to re-wetting the trouble spots and wiping/scraping them clean as you suggested - time consuming but effective.

I spoke to the chap at the hire shop and he said them machine would be too aggressive for our needs, end up chewing the plaster to much so that's a dead end.

Yesterday I found out that our neighbour is a decorator (handy) and he popped in to the room and said it should turn out well as the walls are in good nick overall. He suggested lining paper too but I really really don't want to use it.

He also recommended using stuff called dry lining to smooth over rough patches etc as it is apparently self levelling - I am sure I will still make a hodge of it though :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thread hijack!
Would be interested to know the name of that dry lining self levelling filler. Sounds useful.
If you could help, thanks. ;)

LOL ...
Dry lining is plasterboard. Milligan .
I wonder if your neighbour meant skimming the walls with Easi-fill?
Its not self-levelling though , nor could anything applied to a wall 'self-level' :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back