basic socket set question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
this is a very basic question, but which is the best all round socket set to go for? I've been looking and there are so many sizes I'm confused. I want something that will handle most of the small stuff 8mm-ish and a few larger ones M8, M10. I don't want to take apart a car or anything, just be able to cope with things around the house, garden and bike etc. There re so many different inch sizes, what's the difference. Presumably there are only a certain amount of sizes of nut to fit. Why are there a set of 1/2 and 3/8? what do these numbers refer to. I've googled them, but can't figure it out :confused:

Sponsored Links
Its sounds like you need a 3/8" drive set, complete with a range of metric sockets.
Halfords do a good range, and you can add on as you go. Laser Tools is also a popular diy choice.
1/2" drive is for heavier stuff, whereas 1/4" drive is for lighter use.
Most bolts are metric these days, with the exception of American made stuff.
John :)

I would agree with John, Halfords sets are very good for the money, their pro tools even better.
But as John says, for the sizes you are mentioning i would go for the 3/8 drive

I might add that the best socket sets to use for corroded/hard to remove nuts or bolts, is a hexagon socket set instead of bi-hexagonal, bi-hex can round off the corners of nuts, due to limited contact.
Hex sockets, have a far greater contact area, and will remove fastening without rounding off the corners.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
thanks people. very helpful advice. So, I will go for a metric and a 3/8 drive.

Just to clarify, is the hexagon socket a separate set, or should do I get a 3/8 drive and metric sets which have hexagon shaped sockets?

...the small stuff 8mm-ish and a few larger ones M8, M10.
M8 is 8mm

it is also rather small. A 1/4" drive would easily do it.
are you sure that is as big as you want?

Is it a bicycle or a motorbike you are thinking of?

a 1/4" or 3/8" set is inexpensive, and handy for small stuff, even if, later, you want a 1/2" set for car or motorcycle, which will also be big enough for some plumbing and appliance repairs. Don't be fooled by a set which claims to include vast numbers of components, most of which are screwdriver bits. A sturdy case in polypropylene is very handy; perspex cases crack and steel ones are heavy and bruise your leg.

Try not to pay for sizes that will be included in a 1/2" set which I am sure you will buy later. Every man does.

Make a point of buying Chrome Vanadium alloy tools if you want them to last.

btw, if you are mostly working on modern stuff, you probably only need metric sizes

us oldies have big heavy sets with metric, AF and Whit, or more.

thanks again.

M8 was just an example of something i needed recently. I'd like to take my bicycle apart, but also do things around the house and garden. eg bolts on gates, greenhouse, sheds, fence posts etc. Used to have an old set with millions of sockets (loads were lost over time), but someone lent the actual socket spanner and lost it!

you can get a replacement ratchet handle for your old sockets quite cheaply

the things you mention are probably all within 15mm size; but if old, they will not all be metric.

have you considered a set of ring spanners and a set of open-enders? (not combination spanners, as you often beed e.g. a 12mm spanner on a nut and another 12mm spanner on the bolt head)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back